The St. Michael’s Music Department is one of the most diverse and unique programs in the state. Complete with traditional and non-traditional music classes, students are able to advance their musical skills and knowledge as well as developing an appreciation for a variety genres of music. Whether a student plans on pursuing a career in music or not, there is a place for everyone in the SMCA Music Department.
Current Music Courses offered include:
- Guitar I/II: Designed for the beginner to intermediate guitar student
- Advanced Guitar: A continuation of the Guitar I/II course, this class focuses on more advanced guitar technique in addition to learning other instruments such bass guitar, harmonica and simple piano skills.
- Percussion & Rhythm: This course focuses on the world of rhythm, with emphasis on drumline and drum set.
- Varsity Symphony: Our premiere performing ensemble at the school. This class combines strings, woodwinds, brass, keyboards and percussion instruments and functions like most high school band and orchestra programs. Students who are have previous music experience are encouraged to participate in this class. The Varsity Symphony competes at the TAPPS Music Championship.
In addition to the courses offered during the school day, students also have the unique opportunity to participate in our many extracurricular activities such as:
- Drumline: The heartbeat of Crusader Nation is our well-known Crusader Drumline. This group is open to all students of any level and previous music experience is not required. Each year the drumline consists of 25-35 students who perform at home football games and other school events.
- Crusader Bands: One of the extraordinary opportunities for SMCA students is to participate in our Crusader Tailgating Bands. These student groups rehearse before/after school and perform at home football games and other school functions.
- Mass Praise Band: For those students who wish to use their musical and singing ability in worship at school Masses.
- Tech Crew: Designed to give students the opportunity to learn how to set up and operate professional sound equipment for all of the various school functions, in addition to recording performances, using the industries latest technology.
Additionally, there are performance opportunities throughout the school year. Each semester the entire Music Department collaborates on a themed show at the end of fall and spring. These performances have become some of the “must-see” shows of the year.
Previous shows have included:
- A Tribute To The Beatles (Fall 2014)
- Sounds of Motown (Fall 2015)
- Dude, It’s A 90s Concert (Spring 2016)
- The Times They Are A-Changin’ (Fall 2017)
- Night At The Grammys (Spring 2017)